Thread: Time Management
View Single Post
Well, I usually use Steven Covey's "Three Big Rocks" idea. I choose three projects that I want to either get done this week or at least get some major progress accomplished.

In my workweek, I'll block out times during the day that are unavailable and won't be interrupted. In BusyCal/iCal, I'll make an appointment block such as 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM > Work on Valentine's Day advertising project.

During that time block, I'll let phone calls go to voice mail, quit Mail.app, and cut off all instant messaging services. I notify my coworkers that I'm not to be bothered and re-route tasks to someone else or leave it in my inbox. I bought one of those Open signs that has a clock on the reverse side. I'll change the time to the end of the time block and hang that on my office door. So it'll tell people that I'll be available after 12:00 PM.

Then I'll just work on that one big rock or project. I'll change my OmniFocus perspective to focus on the project only. I'll work from that list until the time block is over or the project is finished.

So iCal/BusyCal just blocks off my time. Then I switch to OmniFocus to look at my next steps. I usually don't like to clutter iCal/BusyCal with all the Next Actions that are needed for the project. Then I just check off the tasks as completed in OmniFocus.