View Single Post
I just got back from an awesome 12-day honeymoon trip to Italy. Because my "system" was on the whole time, I was able to NOT work, and instead enjoy time with my bride.

But the whole time, business was still happening. I still received many inputs (emails, voicemails, etc), which I used Omnifocus to capture and organize as usual. In my work, I do not actually get 12 days off. I get 12 days of deferral. LOL

OF and GTD allowed me to stay sane and feel like I was still in control. Very few items were really urgent enough to deal with while I was away. The control came from choosing to not do.

Since the "system" has different modes (Capture, Process, Organize, Review, Do), you have to feel comfortable going into a capture-only hibernation, or possibly just trust your inboxes to work for you when you're ready to re-engage. To me, the purpose of the system is to help increase awareness of projects / inputs to a point where you can make better (more intuitive and more valuable) decisions about your work, including when and where to NOT work.

For what it's worth. :)