View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwcrossl View Post
I wouldn't say I ever turn my system "off," in fact, my system is what keeps me from having to worry about things while I'm trying to enjoy my free time. When something comes up while I'm at home, on vacation, etc, I'll enter a quick inbox item. I know it's been captured, so I don't have to think about it any more, and when I get back to the office, I'll process my inbox.

Having said that, one important notion that is highlighted in the GTD methodology is having multiple inboxes. It is recommended that you have the fewest number of inboxes that work for you, but for me, that is a minimum of 3 - OF, email, and voicemail. If I see an email or voicemail that does not require me to action it immediately, I'll leave it where it is. It's captured in it's own inbox, and I can incorporate these items into OF once I am back in business mode.
I totally agree in regards to keeping my system active and nearby. I do a thorough scan in the morning and at night. Mini weekly reviews, well morning and nightly reviews. This is a must for me as the morning review allows me to know what direction I'm taking my day in, where I flag two to three actions that if completed I would consider it a successful day. At night I have five great spreadsheets that track my nutrition, like what I ate during the day, how much I exercised, miles wise... And a few more ranging from finances and how much I studied for the day. I love seeing graphs to chart my progress. My system is always with me and I lOve it...

The one thing however... Considering I live in omni focus is that on the iPad I can minimize certain contexts, such as "home" when I'm not home which I love. However on the iPhone I'm forced to either see only one context at a time, or all of them. That's what makes me take out my iPad more, the fact I can vIew the contexts I wanna see.

As for the inbox technique, I love it. However for me, personally omni focus is where I reside so the moment I get an email Or voIcemail I always send it to my omni focus inbox, even if it's just a quick copy and paste of the email. I love having an empty gmail inbox. Always. Even if my omni focus inbox isn't, but it usually gets processed during either the morning or nightly review... Or free time in between, say at a dentists office.