View Single Post
Well, I'm a vet not a medic but I guess there's some crossover so I'll wade in. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypotyposis View Post
I could envisage the benefits of taking paper notes/brainstorming PLUS entering those notes into OO or equivalent (repetition = memorization), but I'm concerned this could quickly become overwhelming. What do folks out there do/think about this issue?
If you haven't already, check out what your school does re: provision of notes. You may find that a lot of the lecture courses provide a neat set of PDF notes, which cuts out a lot of the problem. If not (or if you do PBL, for example), I'd say that you need to either go paper or go digital for notes you take yourself (in lectures etc.) and stick with it. Transcribing will take a lot of time: in my class there were people who spent loads of time rewriting lecture notes and they weren't the ones who did well in exams. Whether you go paper or digital depends on how good a typist you are, I imagine. :) For managing text snippets, web links etc., personally I've found Yojimbo a great tool: there are a lot of other options though, such as DevonThink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypotyposis View Post
2) The question of managing classes themselves (assignments, etc.). Do you do it in OF itself or in another application?
For this, I kind of stick to the GTD guidelines of actions that must be done on a specific date or time (plus tickler items like deadlines) going on my calendar (iCal) and actions to be done as soon as I can going in OF.

The only issue I've had is with managing clinical cases: I wanted initially to manage each case as a project in OF, but in the middle of a busy clinic day I'm just not good enough at pulling out my iPhone and entering stuff. Currently I carry a stack of 3 x 5 index cards, stick a case details label for each case on a card and write tasks for that case for the day on the card at morning rounds. Seems to work for me, but it means I don't have a "single trusted system". I'll go electronic on that one day, I promise! :)