View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmn View Post
Howdy.

I would strongly vote in favor of at least simple tagging. To implement this in an "orthogonal" manner would not seem too difficult to ask. Interoperability with other tag-aware apps (e.g. MailTags) would be very positive.

I can appreciate that multiple contexts would be more difficult to implement quickly and thoroughly, given the deeply integrated nature of contexts in the current product.

I would be a bit annoyed to wait until 2011 and buy another version for this functionality, which is fairly uniformly implemented in competing products.

That said, I do appreciate the quality Omnigroup achieves with OF. I have been evaluating it for a couple of weeks and would really like to "pull the trigger". The presence of tagging the competitors makes me hesitate a bit. OF is definitely the more bomb-proof product, but I would hate to feel as if there is any "stringing along" of the customer base to segment demand and create more purchases... I'd be happy to pay for value, but I would rather have features added as technically achievable, and pay an upgrade or maintenance fee later (e.g. Snow Leopard).

My 2cents, anyhow.
The large user base of OF is a big plus, for sure.
The presence of tagging in OmniFocus' competitors has been what's driven me back to OmniFocus every time. I don't want to spend the mental energy required to create and maintain a tagging/metadata language.

Take The Hit List. I initially loved THL for the interface, the timer, the bells and whistles. And while OmniFocus is, at it's core, a free-form outliner, The Hit List maintains that identity so much more.

But I found I was spending too much time trying to figure out elaborate systems not only for using multiple contexts (supported in THL) but also for using the tags. Not to mention the other metadata OmniFocus already has like start date, due date, and time estimate.

THL had other problems (lack of an iPhone app and lack of an ability to easily "complete" a project), but the biggest was that I was fiddling too much with it. OmniFocus imposes on me a discipline that I have not yet learned.