View Single Post
FWIW, I was a happy user of iGTD, which really showed some promise. Two things (no pun intended) happened that made me look around again. First, the developer put out a public beta of a new version that appeared to be a radical departure from v1. Once he put that beta out there all further development, on either the original or the new version, stopped.

Second, and even worse, he more or less disappeared. He had been very responsive to user requests (perhaps it burned him out?) and was almost constantly introducing new features. But earlier this year the Web site went down. (It was later resurrected.) To me it looked like development was being taken over by a team of volunteers. That's when I started to survey the GTD app landscape in earnest. And based on the traffic in the once-thriving forums, I'm not the only one who moved on.

My use of a GTD environment is reasonably common, I guess. I'm not a strict adherent to the GTD philosophy, but I sure do like the power that using a good tool gives me. Far fewer things seem to fall through an ever-growing number of cracks.

Even though the price of OF, compared to other products in the same space, seemed steep, the support, responsiveness, commitment, and even presence here of the developers and other Omni team members was a key factor for me. The promise of syncing was a major factor (especially with the iPhone) and a major selling point, as was the reputation of the Omni Group in general. The fact that they develop and sell other products is a benefit, not a problem, in my book. Personally, I'd rather pay a solid company a reasonable price for a solid product that I'll be able to use for years than have to change apps every time a company run on a shoestring (or less) folds its tent.

Last edited by jbarse; 2008-07-11 at 04:24 PM..