View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiec View Post
FF3 is not very Mac-like at all. You can read some of the reasons "Firefox 3’s shortcomings as a Mac app" fall short.
http://daringfireball.net/2008/04/firefox_3_safari_3

Huh? This line of reasoning makes no sense.

Customization = Mac so Firefox = better than OW ???

If customizing the user experience meant anything then GNU/Linux is more Mac than Mac.

I'm not trying to start a flame war either, but it's just wrong to say that Firefox is more Mac-like because of the interface or because of customization.

Firefox does not behave like a native, proper real Mac application. It may look like one, but to the experienced, savvy user it shows. Firefox is a port and will always be a port.

This is getting old.
I have to agree with the others, saying FF 3 is more mac like then OW is laughable. OW is far and away one of the best browsers on the Mac. I have been an OW user since 4 and have seen many cool things come through. For the last couple of years I have still maintained Safari as my default browser because I like a couple of the features, particularly the find feature. But Safari also requires more maint. then most browsers too as it tends to slow down, and beachball and all together crash far to frequently for my tastes. It is to the point that OW is now once again, my default browser.

The features in OW are tough to match. Site prefs, Workspaces, Page Marking, and oh so many other cool and unique features that yeah you can get some of these with FF and Extensions, but what a mess that is. It is bloated, not based on Cocoa or Carbon, for that matter, and does not behave like a standard Mac app. Although I will admit that FF3 is much better then FF2 in this regard, I still prefer OW, heck even Camino has FF3 beat in my book.

Hopefully Omni is working on 6 and I will not hesitate to upgrade. Each version has been significantly better then the last.