View Single Post
I will try to be more simple while expressing my opinion:

Blocking IP ranges is totally sending message "Your country is full of crooks" and nothing else. Lets say they blocked some tiny country which doesn't have a single customer, what if an Omni app owner travels there and needs immidate technical support?

Why years old, experienced service like dnsstuff.com adds "SHOULD NOT BE USED" to certain RBLs who does IP block bans based on country or simply "I had a spam from that country, let me ban" type?

What if people like me completely completely changes their attitude to Omni group and call them American/European centric ignorant company who punishes people based on their location?

I have been supporter of Gizmo project and advertised it in every single platform you can imagine. When the day they have put a totally ignorant list of fraud countries and announced they won't allow calls to them or from them, that was the day I called them as paranoid on versiontracker and deleted all traces of application. As I still have sympathy to a open project with standards support, I didn't write the first thing came to my mind.

As a Turkish citizen I am fairly touched with IP block bans not because I was effected with one, I just happened to lose contact with 30 friends from Asia because the ignorants at DAL IRC network banned their countries stating abuse from the IP blocks.

If you are tired of cleaning up posts, you should give up your status. I manage dozens of mailboxes and they all have RBL enabled. Does it still bother me? Hell yes. I never leave Spammers alone with such passive methods, I still submit 30 spams a day to Spamcop perfecting their RBL and giving chance to ISPs to clean up the mess instead of blocking countries. Results vary, I have figured after setting up their own anti-spam organization (academic), the horrible situation at Korea has been lightened a lot.

About those E-Commerce sites blocking countries: They are tiny. Lets enable such thing on Amazon sized site and see the feedback. I have been always understanding to small companies who asks additional info when I purchase something expensive online and lived the hassle but I have NEVER seen a single company who labels me as a potential thief and block my IP range. If I see such a thing, there are many civil rights organizations, I would make sure they hear it...

In fact, these days a single popular post on Digg.com like sites would mark the end of your company and as far as I see, there are many games going on in commercial Mac coding and make sure a user won't happen to post such thing, a PR company who are in such matters will do it.

This isn't a homebrew gamer forum or a open source, no income projects forum. This is forum of Omni Group, a commercial company with policies such as:

"We don't discriminate based on anything that would upset you, like race, age, sex, religion, or sexual preference. "

Last edited by Ilgaz; 2007-04-08 at 05:07 AM..