Thread: Why Vote?
View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheQ View Post
Brian, forgive me if I'm slightly disillusioned about the 'voting' process, but 'contacts' (which has the most votes and has been requested since 2007) still hasn't made it!
Support for contacts actually got the first customer request in 2006, not 2007. :-)

Contacts were at the top of the list when I originally mentioned it, but there are other requests that are more popular now; contacts are in the #10 slot. The current top item has twice the votes that contacts do, and was entered more recently.

Moral here: customer needs change over time.

I understand you're concerned, but I assure you: the fact that we haven't reached the end of our to-do list doesn't mean we're ignoring it.

Quote:
I wouldn't have thought that password-on-launch was a huge coding commitment
It's not really about the size of the commitment; in general, taking time away from stuff that a lot of folks want in order to do something that a smaller group wants isn't the best way forward.

If nothing else, opportunity cost: an hour you spend doing X cannot be used doing Y. You cannot give everyone everything they want, so you make choices that give the most people the most things they want. I can't think of any features currently in the app that I would have put off if it meant we could have added this one.

Quote:
Having to 'vote' on something this logical seems a bit pointless, especially as I remain unconvinced that 'voting' actually achieves anything.
All I can do is describe the way we've been doing business and helping customers. Voting is how to influence the direction our products take; each customers' voice gets attention and consideration along with the other folks using the products. It doesn't guarantee that we'll do it immediately, and it doesn't override our experience building good software, but it is helpful and we do appreciate it.

It's been working pretty well so far, but there's no guarantee that any one customer's most desired feature will line up with the majority's. In the meantime, choosing to opt out seems like it would only make other customers' votes more powerful.