View Single Post
You have some points in your post, but my objection is this:

I use OF as clean as possible. I use Evernote for jotting down thoughts and different angles - not OF. Having tried Things myself, my experience is that I spent far too much time thinking through possible perspectives/tags that could be of use when performing the task. They weren't - not for me anyway. At the end of the day, all I really needed was @Call (not @phone, since my phone can do more than conversations). If need be, I search for the person I'm talking to in Evernote (or even OF - I have contexts for persons where I put issues I need to discuss without knowing if it is going to be in person, phone call or email). You mention an example where your task spells:

Quote:
Call Bob about the work report of Tracy
That is plenty of information for me. I can easily find everything containing "Tracy", "Bob", "report" in all of my "action" perspectives in OF. I did exactly what you did in Things, but it never made me more efficient, nor wiser. There simply wasn't any gain in breaking my task into morphemes. It did not improve my intellect, nor the quality of my work.

I still do appreciate looking at info/data from various points of view though, probably like you. But what it seems you want to achieve with tags is for me more logical to do in a free form database, or a strongly customised relation database. There is dedicated software for that: Evernote, Devonthink, Soho Notes, etc. They offer such "angles" without you needing to apply numerous tags. What these can't offer is good task management - although they do have task options. As you understand, my app for that is Omnifocus.

In the future, it might happen that someone actually integrates these (today) very distinct categories of my workflow into one single UI successfully, but they all have a long way to go for that to happen. And I am not sure I want everything in one interface; too easy to be distracted...