View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Gotta disagree. If I have more actions to do, I'd like the chance to plan them. If you have a standing project/action group that never changes, it might work for you, and perhaps an option to "autocomplete when all actions are done" would work, but gosh, how many options are we going to have? That's the sign of an undecided application.
Disagree right back atcha :-). I don't think it's so much a sign of an undecided application as a reflection that users want to use action groups for different things. That's why different users have different ideas on whether the parent of an action group should show up in context mode or not.

Let me put it this way: users should never be forced to click complete on things that don't show up in context mode. In GTD, completing actions is something that happens in context mode, not planning mode, so clicking the complete button in OF is something that should generally be done in context mode, not planning mode. Since the parent actions of action groups don't appear in context mode, the user shouldn't be forced to switch back to planning mode to click them complete. Hence they should autocomplete. (If they did show up in context mode---which I don't think they should!---I would switch sides on the autocompletion question.)

Of course, that probably won't work for everyone; that's why we need a preference. I think the current default behavior is backward; the preference should be for those who want to preserve the current behavior.

If the issue is too much clutter in the preferences, I'd be happy with a hidden preference accessible through the "write defaults" mechanism from the terminal.

Last edited by Chris; 2007-09-21 at 10:16 AM..