View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
(BTW, what is the best way to determine how many actions I have? Do I really have to count them manually every time?)
We plan to display this count somewhere in the app soon. In the meantime, if you're comfortable using Terminal you can run this UNIX command:

Code:
sqlite3 ~/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/OmniFocusDatabase2 'select count(*) from Task;
Quote:
Is a 320 KB database even going to be a problem? How much room do I have before the thing goes "Ka-boom"? I haven't noticed any significant problems so far.
If you're not seeing any performance problems, then you're probably fine: that's the basis for that 1,000-action recommendation. (Also, we expect to significantly raise this limit soon: right before shipping 1.0 we thought of a performance optimization we could do, but we decided it was too dangerous to add unless we had more time to test it. Now that we've submitted 1.0.1, we're looking at doing that optimization in 1.0.2.)

The hard limit we have to avoid on the phone is the amount of memory used, and for that limit not all actions are created equal: a single action with a really, really, really long note (many megabytes of text) could exceed the phone's memory limitations. (We redesigned the attachment system to try to keep attachments out of memory most of the time on the phone, though we do have to read them into memory when viewing them and when coalescing transactions.)

It would be nice to put some sort of memory monitoring tool into the iPhone app, so you can monitor how close you are to the limit. I'll file a feature request.

Last edited by Ken Case; 2008-07-16 at 07:23 AM..