View Single Post
How many times do I have to say it? Blocking IP ranges does not always equate to blocking specific countries. I gave you one example of a country being blocked, and even said it was for a site with a different market than the OG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilgaz
I will try to be more simple while expressing my opinion:
Has nothing to do with being simple, just try sticking to the facts. When you throw stuff in how this forum should use captcha (when it already does) you just add noise to your argument.

Quote:
Blocking IP ranges is totally sending message "Your country is full of crooks" and nothing else.
HOW? Seriously. An IP range doesn't always equate to a country. More often than not, it's not. Like I've now said many times, it doesn't have to be an entire country, just a range.

Quote:
Lets say they blocked some tiny country which doesn't have a single customer, what if an Omni app owner travels there and needs immidate technical support?
Did I ever say they should block their email originating from the same IP addresses? No. Did I ever say they should block specific countries from calling them? No. So there's two ways a user can get support.

Quote:
What if people like me completely completely changes their attitude to Omni group and call them American/European centric ignorant company who punishes people based on their location?
That's your choice.

Quote:
I have been supporter of Gizmo project and advertised it in every single platform you can imagine. When the day they have put a totally ignorant list of fraud countries and announced they won't allow calls to them or from them, that was the day I called them as paranoid on versiontracker and deleted all traces of application. As I still have sympathy to a open project with standards support, I didn't write the first thing came to my mind.
How about this - if you're going to dish out insults why not back it up with some facts? I haven't found a single thing about Gizmo's block that would justify you calling them ignorant or paranoid.

Quote:
If you are tired of cleaning up posts, you should give up your status.
What are you talking about?

Quote:
About those E-Commerce sites blocking countries: They are tiny.
They're tiny? How would you know what companies I've worked for? If you did some homework, you can fairly easily find a list.

How about sticking with facts? When you go making stuff up like this it really kills your argument.

Quote:
Lets enable such thing on Amazon sized site and see the feedback.
Many of the sites I've worked on are around that size.

Quote:
I have been always understanding to small companies who asks additional info when I purchase something expensive online and lived the hassle but I have NEVER seen a single company who labels me as a potential thief and block my IP range.
There are many. The blocks I've implemented on large sites usually provide different content rather than flat out saying they're blocked.

Quote:
If I see such a thing, there are many civil rights organizations, I would make sure they hear it...
Please list one along with their response stating that blocking an IP range is a civil rights violation.

Quote:
"We don't discriminate based on anything that would upset you, like race, age, sex, religion, or sexual preference. "
And as far as I know, no race, age, sex, religion or sexual preference comes with its own IP address.