View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Could you explain exactly what you're having trouble doing, i.e. what steps you're trying to take and what results you expected?
We have users in enterprise environments who are happily using OmniGraffle Pro 4. We want to upgrade them to version 5. We also want to propose rolling out more copies given its support for exported Visio documents.

Quote:
However, many customers complained about the version being in the display name on aesthetic grounds: they felt the application name in the Finder shouldn't include the version number. So, we made the application's display name be "OmniGraffle" (as it had been) but the file name be "OmniGraffle 5" (so nobody would accidentally replace OmniGraffle 4 by installing it). We've received very few complaints with this arrangement (far fewer than we did with either of the previous arrangements).!
That's fine, but consider the impact to our enterprise clients. We can't upgrade our users without the version number visible. We have to have both old and new versions installed during migration/upgrade.

If home users (or other admins) want the version number hidden, that's fine, but do it via a preference/option so those of us who are forced to work in much larger environments (with change control, IT managers who don't "get it", etc.) can deploy without having to answer to our helpdesk manager when unnecessary calls come in.

C'mon guys...don't you guys have any kind of change control in place to prevent these kinds of on-the-fly changes without polling your user base? I'm at a loss here. I own OmniGraffle Pro (have since v3) and I'm a huge supporter of Omnigroup...but this is rediculous.

Don