View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
...I think the little "X" on the right end of the view bar is a better approach. It works just like the same control that appears in search fields.

-Dennis
Thinking a bit more about this, it may be that the Filter settings and the X (as in search fields) is not quite the same thing. The file metaphor works for me as a way of marking the Perspective dirty/unsaved. If what is dirty about a perspective is something in the Filter settings then blue lettering appears (this is a change from the early sp's) and an X is a means to manage those changes but if it were something else like a switch from Planning to Context mode or a pane size change then there needs to me some other way to know the Perspective is now changed from what was saved. Perhaps a more obvious change to the title bar other than the usual dirty file tricks would work for both of us?

edit: I see now that the title bar does change from {perspective name}:{selection} to just <empty>:{selection} when a Filter is changed (and the toolbar highlight is dropped if that Perspective was an icon there) and the menu now changes from Take Snapshot of {perspective} to the grayed-out/unavailable Take Snapshot of Current Perspective. The option to Save Window As > is still there. This seems like a transitional state in the beta builds. Perhaps Take Snapshot of Current Perspective will become active in a future build and automatically create a new Perspective or bring the Perspective pane forward to save the snapshot to a pre-existing Perspective or just disappear entirely. Either way, I do like this better than the recent builds (but not as much as using the file metaphor).

Last edited by pjb; 2009-08-20 at 08:47 AM..