View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonng View Post
I am thinking that OmniPresence is the rebranding of the current Omni Sync Server option we have now.
OmniPresence won't be used for OmniFocus. It syncs entire documents around and makes no attempt to merge changes made on two devices (it just bails and gives you multiple versions of your document which you can merge by hand), unlike OmniFocus which syncs individual edits and merges them automatically.

I go into more detail about OmniPresence in my blog post about our plans for this year, but briefly:

OmniPresence is a feature we're building which will automatically sync documents through a cloud server. It's designed to work with any app (not just ours), and it's not tied to a specific cloud server: you can use OmniPresence with our free Omni Sync Server, or host your own server, or use a company-provided server.

Quote:
It sounds like Mountain Lion users will have the option of hosting their own sync server.

OF1 users will have to stay with Omnigroup's hosted sync server.

The other option is to have your own Mountain Lion capable Mac running Mountain Lion and hosting your own sync server with OF2. Then your pre-Mountain Lion Mac and your iOS devices can sync to this private sync server.
OmniFocus 2.0 has the same sync options as OmniFocus 1 does: you can sync with our free Omni Sync Server, or you can host your own data on your own sync server or a company-provided server (using any Apache web server)—it already does now what OmniPresence will do for OmniOutliner and OmniGraffle and OmniGraphSketcher. You won't have to use any particular syncing service to be able to sync OmniFocus 2.0 with OmniFocus 1.x.

Sometime after we ship 2.0, we will start updating the data model again on all three platforms to add support for new features (such as project templates). At some point this will break the ability to sync with OmniFocus 1 since the older app won't understand the new data.