View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Well, I'm not so sure I agree in this particular case. Is "Go Surfing" a single action that doesn't require multiple steps? That's the definition of a project, more or less. If you need to do a couple of things to make that surfing trip work (wax the board, find the roof rack, make arrangements for a place to spend the night, etc.) it sounds like a project, don't you think?
Well, not really. For at least. I have everything ready pretty much, sure the board is at home and i gotta get myself out to the beach with a friend...but I dont feel the need to make a project just for project's sake. All I really have to do is send a quick txt to my best friend who i see almost everyday, he'll agree and we'll go on a saturday in june.

To each his own, on terms of methods. If something works great for you then by all means stick by it. To me i'd like some sort of Calendar integration thing happening, so what back my original question: is iCal the only solution? Calendar within OF? iCal+Gcal syncing?

Quote:
The Omni developers were thinking about you when they came up with the notion of action groups. If you have a sequential project, but there are a few items in the middle that can be done in any order, just select those items and hit shift-G (or cmd-option-L, or Edit->Outlining->Group) to make them into an action group. You'll get an opportunity to name it, if you want, set a start and/or due date, and most importantly for you, set whether it is parallel or sequential ordering. So, you can have a parallel project that has some clusters of actions that need to be done in a specific order, or a sequential project that has some clusters of actions which can be done in parallel, or you can have an elaborate structure that is sequential except for the parallel parts which might have some sequential parts which could have some parallel parts...arbitrary complexity.
So i tested this out using a mock project. I'm very glad this feature exists, but am hoping I did something wrong. I created a mock project titled "Go to the Moon" with nine steps. Steps such as google flight prices, nice hotels, call edgar if he's down, call crystal if she's down, purchase travel stuff at target, pack luggage, etc... Of those 9 nine steps I did the "shift+g" feature on steps 3 & 4, then again on steps 7 & 8. After pressing shift and G they were grouped... and it did exactly what you mentioned. After completing step 2, 3 & 4 were displayed under my Remaining>Context.... but only step 3 would be displayed under my Next Actions under the context look. The steps 3&4 and then 7&8 were switched to parallel, respectively. Yet under next actions both steps 3 & 4 wouldn't be seen, only step 3. And step 4 still wouldn't be visible until step 3 was completed under the next actions view in contexts.

Quote:
Use View->Customize Toolbar to put a button for a perspective (or an Applescript) in the toolbar.
I do have that perspective button in the toolbar, the one that has a blue square behind a glass looking square...but am looking for something more personal where I can just click on the perspective in the toolbar and that particular perspective just pops up, such as my next actions perspective.

One new question..

After finishing an action that repeats weekly why does the same action show up again immediately? I don't want to view that action till a week after (just) completed the action. How can I have it so that when I check off that I finished that action, I don't see it till 7 days later when I need to do it again?

Thanks!