View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudster View Post
I would use alerts if I could enable them on a task-by-task or project-by-project basis (i.e. a checkbox on the inspector panel nearby the due date).

I was using calendar alerts, but I rely on repeating tasks a lot - everything from remembering to give the cats their medicine once a week, to checking the tire pressure on the cars, to checking the chemicals in the hot tub, to submitting my monthly expense claim at work. On some days I had several alerts and I just went numb to them.

But if I could easily select an alert so it appears when I really do need one to appear, I would definitely do it.
Thanks, fudster. I see your point, but wouldn't it be a lot of extra work deciding which tasks merit an alert or not? (and from a NA point of view, doesn't this come back to the prioritization problem?) And wouldn't you eventually risk "becoming numb" to alerts from OF as well? Especially if they're for the same repeating tasks? Just curious... For me, one of the revelations of GTD was the review system, which even diminished the need for calendar alerts (morning calendar preview), so I'm trying to understand how other implementations work.

I'd like to say I can relate to the "chemicals in the hot tub", but fortunately when I walked in my PI's office the first thing I said was "I like maths", which landed me the sweet, sweet job of analysis (that gets me a free pass on working from a laptop at my preferred coffee shop)... :D