View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
I actually switched to Things for a short time because I really wanted multiple contexts. After actually using that system, I found I really didnt need it as much as I thought, and it simply added complication to my to-do list. I came crawling back to Omnifocus.
Welcome back, Cameron. I also took a close look at Things for a few days. It seemed to be getting a lot of attention on the blogosphere, so I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

I pretty much came to the same conclusion about Things as you though. Overall, it's a slick app, but I don't think I could recommend it for anything but casual use. It simply isn't designed for managing a very large number of projects or particularly complex projects. I kind of feel Things is to OmniFocus as iMovie is to Final Cut Pro, or maybe as iPhoto is to Aperture.

Some of my other gripes were:
  • Tagging is nicely implemented, but breaks down and loses much of its usefulness as the database grows. I'm not convinced it's all it's cracked up to be.
  • Drag operations feel very limited and crippled.
  • All projects are parallel (no sequential/blocking actions).
  • No support for multiple windows.
  • No support for simultaneously viewing multiple notes.
  • No support for styled text in notes.
  • No support for notes on projects (only on actions).
  • No support for database-wide search.
  • No support for search and replace (let alone regular expressions like in OF).
  • No support for copying actions from one project to another or duplicating entire projects.
  • Couldn't find a way to uncheck completed tasks.
  • "Undo/Redo" feels slow, less robust, and sometimes just doesn't work at all.

Maybe some of this isn't really fair since Things is still in beta, but hey, that's the current state of affairs. By the time Things is released, who knows where OmniFocus will be?

Anyway, sorry about the rant. :)