View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
If you duplicate (or create) a task in project mode, you can immediately see where it went and put it where you want it. Not so in context mode. Maybe you always want your duplicate task tucked in right behind the original... If you're in a restrictive view (next or available actions only in a sequential project, for example) the newly created action might not even appear (it doesn't in project mode). If you are going to modify the duplicate (changing the context, for example), it may get whisked off elsewhere in the display unless you are using a combination of view settings that makes context mode look similar to project mode. Given all of that, and the ease of right-click Focus in New Window where you can see what you are doing and don't have to disturb the current view,
whpalmer4 you know OmniFocus much better than I do, so thanks for your explanations and helping explain why something shouldn't work. For me it is always helpful to understand the logic of why a requested feature might be bad for the way a program works.

I need help in understanding why an action would get whisked away if you duplicate it and you are still in the same view you were currently seeing the action. Wouldn't it have all the same values and still be visible?

Maybe there is a better way then duplicating an action for for what I need it for.

I am really just trying to duplicate an action that has a weekly or monthly repeating value and get back to it in a few days later. I don't want to just change the start day because when I complete the action, in the following week it will show up on the day I forwarded it to. I don't want to leave the original start date and keep seeing it the next few days as an available or next action and have to remind myself that I can't do that today.

So after duplicating the action I forward it and take off the repeat value, then mark the original repeating action as done (so it shows up on the same day next week) and then delete it (since it really wasn't done that day).

It would be nice to applescript all of those things in one step but the duplicating part has me the most hung up.

Is there no way for a script to check it's own context and project and then duplicate like "Delegated" or "Complete and Await Reply" does?

Last edited by skillet; 2011-09-14 at 10:15 AM..