View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
On a personal level, I disagree with several of the UI choices that Apple made in 10.5. (The new dock appearance would be one example; some things in iCal now require more clicks than they used to.)
Thanks for moving us, Brian. I like specifics, and now that we're free to digress, let's have at it for Bill's sake. :-)

I agree with Brian on both the dock and iCal, although I've learned to live with iCal's new design, flawed as it might be. But the glassy, 3D dock particularly bugs me. I feel the perspective is all wrong and it's just visually cluttered. I vastly prefer Tiger's dock appearance.

But that's why I almost immediately switched to the 2D version of the dock in Leopard:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean yes; killall Dock
To be clear, this is the appearance Leopard uses when the dock is placed on the sides of the display (dark, translucent background, gray border, and rounded corners). Using the above default setting applies the same style to the dock when it's at the bottom of the screen, which is where my dock lives.

At first, Leopard's 2D dock style was merely an acceptable change from Tiger's dock style. But since then, my affection for Leopard's 2D dock has grown and I now actually prefer it over Tiger's.

Leopard's 2D dock matches the Command-Tab app switcher nicely and the black and silver bezel on the new MacBook line and LED Cinema Displays, giving things a unified theme.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	914

Name:	Picture 2.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	915

Name:	Picture 3.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	916

I really think Apple should have made the 2D dock the default in Leopard.

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2009-04-29 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: Never quite sure if "dock" should be capitalized