Thread: Contexts?
View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Stargazer,

An important idea behind GTD and contexts is that it allows you be more productive by spending less time deciding what to do next. You don't want to lose that efficiency by spending all of your time fooling around with complicated searches, applying every conceivable tag, multiple contexts, etc. Use reviews, flags, and impending due dates to keep the important stuff moving along, and fill the remaining time with everything else.
I could not agree more, but this logic points *toward* multiple contexts, not against. I think part of the confusion I caused was in somehow suggesting that I want to be able to search for tasks that match several contexts simultaneously -- ie., a "home" task that is also "low energy," in my little example. I agree that's really overkill.

All I want is to be able to pull up a list of tasks that I can complete at "home" and have that list contain every task that I can complete at home. I don't want to have to check multiple context lists -- I just want to see my list of things I can do at home.

But there are only two ways to accomplish that:

1. One way to accomplish it -- what I do now, in fact -- is to assign every task that I can do at home to "home." Works ok, but the downside is that I can't use contexts like "low energy" or whatever, because some of those tasks could also be completed at home (and some not), and so if I give them one of those alternative contexts, then they no longer show up on my "home" list.

(And creating a perspective that shows the union of "home" and "low energy" does not solve the problem, because some "low energy" tasks are NOT home tasks, so the union list is overinclusive.)

2. The other way to accomplish it -- which OF does not currently support -- is to simply allow multiple tags. That way, I can tag all of those items with the "home" tag AND also give them whatever other tags I think might be useful for me. The point is not that I would search for items containing both tags at once (overkill), but rather that searching for either tag by itself would give me a complete list.

Last edited by Stargazer; 2011-10-05 at 08:08 AM..