Thread: Contexts?
View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
... In my example, "change air filter" is given the "low energy" context -- and since mutliple contexts are not allowed, it is NOT given the "home" context. ...
For me, this failure would be due to misplacing the context for the action. The specific activity you present is in my mind constrained externally far more by its location than by its outcome/energy.

Put another way ... in my specific set of contexts, location trumps all others when location is an absolute specifier for the action. In your example, I cannot change the air filter anywhere but @home, regardless of how much energy and time I might have. Of course, no one chains me to my desk at work, and I _could_ in principle get up now, drive home, change the air filter, and drive back to work. That is however rather silly. So, for me, this task is by no means Low Energy compared to @Home.

After that, my "Waiting For" context follows. Any task that is someone elses to do is a "Waiting For". Again, try as hard as I might, I cannot collect the budget numbers from last years program review when those numbers are only accessible by the accounting department.

Anything not fitting the above is at my discretion to set in context. That is where I use the outcome/energy contexts. I can call the contractor at my father's house anywhere and anytime I choose. So, the context for that action is based on where that action fits as an outcome/energy decision in my project "Renovate Father's House".

In an inverse consideration, I wonder if, while sitting at your office without the boss around, you pull up your Low Energy context and are fully pleased to see the "Change Air Filter" task appear on your list of possible actions.

--
JJW