Thread: Contexts?
View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post

2. The other way to accomplish it -- which OF does not currently support -- is to simply allow multiple tags. That way, I can tag all of those items with the "home" tag AND also give them whatever other tags I think might be useful for me. The point is not that I would search for items containing both tags at once (overkill), but rather that searching for either tag by itself would give me a complete list.
Did you consider context trees? I have @home with sub contexts "MBP" for example. Not a lot of those, but that gives me exactly what I need in terms of a more granular control of my @home-stuff. And as mentioned by others, you can cmd+click on multiple contexts (I combine "Assigned To : (Names)" and "Contacts : (Names)" for example) and save them as perspectives.

Tagging was my main reason for giving up on Things, it makes me overanalysing. Through tips around this forum and some excellent scripts I have managed to work around the very few drawbacks I can think of lacking multiple contexts/tags.

Having worked a bit with databases myself I can share one thing I learnt: Tags belong in free form databases, they will never work well in a structured matrix like that of OF. Although you indicate your needs for tags are linked to your personal preferences rather than professional needs, I think you should really consider one of the three following, either as a replacement or in addition to OF: a) a proper project management tool b) a relational database tool with advanced filtering possibilities or c) A free form database tool. Trying to force OF or any other GTD-software into the world of advanced project management or analytical task approach will corrupt the underlying concept, in my view. What you ask for above is a huge task for any developer and requires answers to a lot of questions like the obvious first three:

- How would you suggest it should look when you see your "low energy"-list in terms of columns?

- How would you sort tasks to identify only those that meet the combination of @home AND "low energy" in this view you envisage; would there not be (possibly) hundreds of task NOT meeting exactly the two criteria you give?

- What is your answer to the technological-philosophical issue: Is a context and a tag really the same thing? (They are often distinguished as a context being pragmatic/fixed and a tag being analytical/relative. Cf. the distinction of structured data and free form databases)

To me, it sounds difficult to achieve multiple contexts without the introduction of advanced filtering and analytical procedure - again, back to complex ad hoc queries à la Things OR towards a relational database setup that allows for preset advanced filters. Personally, I wish for neither.

In my view, your only chance would be to provide Omni's developers with sketches and elaborated illustrations of your ideas and needs - and I am certain they would read through it.

Good luck whatever you choose!