View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyprint View Post
In my work, I have separate Projects, and then I prioritize the tasks, and attack the work in terms of high, medium, and low priority -- obviously focusing on the high priority for the current day. How would OF approach this differently?
It's pretty similar, actually - the assumption is that you're doing regular reviews and looking at your lists frequently. During those reviews, you can either set an appropriate due date (see below) or flag some important things if they don't have due dates.

From there, forecast view keeps the most important stuff in view; I don't sweat the rest. Once that list is clear, just repeat; continual cycles like that help me stay productive and able to be flexible/responsive to changing conditions.

This article by Merlin Mann serves as a good statement of the general philosophy in play in OmniFocus. It states the argument a little more 'my way or the highway' than I probably would have if I were trying to persuade folks, though. :-)

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation, but I'm still not clear on how best to utilize Contexts. It seems like they help one focus on a particular action (e.g., Email) or place (Office versus Home). That seems like how Things uses Area of Interest.
From what I've heard folks say here, it sounds like OmniFocus' folders are conceptually similar to Areas of Interest; they're organizational tools that help you keep various projects grouped together by theme.

Contexts represent an additional organizational tool that cuts across your projects. If I'm in a meeting with Betty, I can look at the context I have set up for her and see that I have five questions I need to ask to move several of my projects forward.

Quote:
Is there another way in which Contexts should be radically reconsidered?
In addition to tools, places, and people, the other thing I see folks do with contexts is to classify tasks by whatever headspace they need to be in. As an example, our CEO has one context for his CEO-tasks and another for his programming ones. A lot of that work may happen at his Mac, but very different types of thinking are required.

Quote:
Are there some templates that I should look at to better consider how best to utilizes OF's approach?
It's not really a template, but if you haven't looked at it yet, our GTD white paper may be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
I think that you're going to want to use the software that makes sense to you.
There is much wisdom here. Different strokes, different folks, etc. :-)