View Single Post
Thank you for your response Rob. I can see your point, but I bet that you have your own ways of giving to others. I was raised to think in terms of giving back to the community, whether, it is helping out the local family violence center or being a member of a fraternal organization that helps those who are less fortunate. So I can take joy in seeing good things come to others even if it costs me some time or money, as I am sure that you do as well. This may not be the way you and others want to give back to their 'community'. I will admit that not everyone is 'wired' like me. My post was simply my thoughts, and an attempt to provide a different perspective to this conversation. I think that the Mac community is by and large a very giving group.

With respect to the finances of iPhone or iPod Touch users, there are some people for whom an iPhone acts as a mobile computer, i.e., a laptop replacement. With respect to the iPod Touch, for some it is a cheaper alternative to having a PDA and portable music player. Also we have to consider that some of these items are bought used or refurbished. I have a rule of thumb that says most purchases of this type cost one 25% - 50% over time above the purchase price by the time you add in all the 'necessary' accessories and extras. Like when I moved to the Mac from Windows. I had to get Quicken for the Mac, new utilities, MS Office for the Mac, etc. You get the picture. So even though the cost of OF for the iPhone or iPod may be 'relatively' small expense, sometimes it is something like the straw that broke the camel's back. My impression is that the aforementioned company built a lot of goodwill by their action, but this is anecdotal. Nevertheless, I quite see your thinking on this point in that these do seem to be something of semi-luxury items.