View Single Post
I find it hard view a release of OF for the iPhone/Touch as a new standalone program - as its essentially worthless without a direct sync to my desktop.

iPhone sync has long been touted as an intended feature should it ever have been feasible, and (I'm sure) informed many decisions to support Omni, over the competition. If Omni decided to charge for the mobile app, I'd be very disappointed. That being said, I would likely buy the app if priced below $5 or so, but I would certainly feel gouged.

OF is supposed to be "professional-grade" task-management, and sync is its killer feature. I may be off base - but as I followed development of OF from the early beta days, I was under the impression that iPhone sync was always an intended core OF feature. To segregate the user market now seems somehow dishonest. Use of the iPhone app could always be limited to users who sync w/ the main app if there is a concern of giving away a free product to non-users.

I think the subsidization argument against a free app is a bit self-serving. Just because you don't make use of a new feature doesn't mean it isn't part of the core philosophy of the app, and therefore part of an upgrade. I don't use OF w/ iCal or Mail - should I be allowed a price break - or is feature chronology somehow more relevant?

I would feel much better spending $20-30 to upgrade to an OmniFocus 2.0 that includes iphone sync than I would about $5 for a second standalone app.