View Single Post
I agree with the consensus here: OmniFocus is not designed as a general-purpose note-taking app. However, similar to ptone, I've gotten into the habit of creating OmniFocus actions for things I want to think about or flesh-out in more detail when time permits. I try to start them with a verb to make them actionable: Think about ..., Decide on ..., Consider doing ..., etc.

I even went so far as to create a "Thinking" context, which I usually keep on hold to keep those items out of my day-to-day work. Whenever I have some free time (e.g. sitting on the train or heading out on my daily run), I quickly check my Thinking context for things to occupy my brain.

I usually have no more than a couple sentences in the notes field of my Thinking actions. If I want to flesh-out the idea more (I often find writing/typing out ideas helps me think them through), my preferred app is OmniOutliner. It offers an interface similar in feel to OmniFocus and I love being able to collapse and hoist portions of the document for clarity. I usually link the OmniOutliner file to my action in OmniFocus. The OmniOutliner file isn't readable from my iPhone (one advantage of RTF, I guess), but I haven't really missed that yet. At least I can see the original OmniFocus action and its notes.

When I've resolved the Thinking action (made a decision or thoroughly thought it through), I usually delete it from OmniFocus. But if it's something I might want to revisit in the future, I mark it complete and let it get archived eventually.

-Dennis