View Single Post
As a long-time Omnifocus user (from the beta period), I am sad to admit that I have moved over to Things. I've been less than enthusiastic with OF's interface from day one, but put up with it. I admit that OF has more features, powerful features. However over time, I've come to realize that I don't really need them. The only thing (important to me) that OF does that Things does not is sequential tasks in a project - but that rarely comes up for me, and I can fudge it in Things, more like doing it manually.

I've also read GTD several times, thinking it was brilliant, but eventually found the whole philosophy not applicable to my workflow. Contexts are not all that important for me.

Most of what I do is on the computer, a laptop that I carry to work, home, and vacation. Other things like phoning I can do most anywhere. I'm in academia, so my daily schedule is only constrained by classes, usually one per day - the rest of my activities, be they research, reading textbooks, going to the mall to run errands, fixing something at home, etc. can be scheduled as needed. In other words, I don't need to check an @errand context to see what to do if I happen to be near a mall. I check what I need to do and if an errand seems more important to me than other things right now, I'll just pack up and head for the mall. If I'm at work and have something to do at home - then I'll go home to do those tasks, unless I have a must-do task to do at work (although, as I said, most tasks I can to anywhere).

The bottom line is that I need a less powerful system, and Things just about covers it for me. Plus it has the kind of simplistic interface that engages me; look & feel is an important property for me when it comes to software.

At this point, I'm just into the third week of using Things - I may eventually find that some features are lacking and could return to OF, but right now, the honeymoon is still enjoyable!

Last edited by pvonk; 2009-12-01 at 09:33 AM..