View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb View Post
As for communicating the state of the Perspective, I'd prefer you just stretch the metaphor used in apps which manipulate files where the titlebar icon (next to the name of the Perspective) becomes gray and a dot appears in the leftmost button when the Perspective needs to be either saved or any changes (in blue) will be discarded. You may even go so far as to remind the user they have made changes to the Perspective when they try to change to another, although this hasn't seemed to be necessary in OW. Basically, I'm not a fan of the X on the rightmost view bar.
I don't think it's generally a good idea to use a well-known interface metaphor for something different like that. Those "dirty" indicators invariably mean the document in memory differs from the version on disk. That's not the case here; in OmniFocus, only your view settings have changed, not your actual data. Mixing UI behaviors like that would be confusing, especially since OmniFocus saves real data changes automatically.

I think the little "X" on the right end of the view bar is a better approach. It works just like the same control that appears in search fields.

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2009-08-15 at 07:12 PM..