View Single Post
I have been reading back over this thread and I can see that I haven't helped it to stay on track. The main reason I haven't is that I raised an example of the dinner party which didn't in any way relate to the issue that I raised at the start of the thread, namely that contexts, which may have actions associated with more than one project, will need to be sorted at times to be workable.

Just to put the dinner party example to bed, catrijn of course explained, with excellent use of the program, how to enter the events leading to the dinner party into its project in planning mode. And of course since all the phone calls required to be done for the dinner party have been sorted in the project they appear sorted in the context. And he made a further good point that even if I cannot get Omnifocus to notify me at a point in time where I may need to branch based on an event, at least I can choose to look at the Due perspective to see what deadlines exist. Sorry catrijin for not acknowledging both contributions of yours before now.

Sorry to do this everyone but I think it is important to point out, despite the fact that I haven't helped this thread, that I have raised a perfectly ordinary example (not obscure) where sorting of actions within contexts would be preferable and where such sorting will not already have happened in planning mode. And the example is going on a shopping trip to a number of stores for items that relate to multiple projects. No-one has commented on this example yet. Please don't let the discussion cease prematurely because I raised an example that was not related to my proposition.

I can see that there are people on this list who are very good at seeing how to apply Omnifocus to an issue and I invite them, if they have any ideas, to explain how my simple shopping trip can be handled by the program. To me Omnifocus does not seem to be ready to handle situations like this for two reasons:
1. It's a job where you need to spend time with a map to decide on the order of the actions.
2. Having done so Omnifocus won't let you store what you have determined to be the best order to complete the actions. Thus it would be preferable to be able to sort the contexts and to add notes to them in advance of the trip.

Just in case anyone is interested, I have made a demo interface for sorting (manual and automatic) and have made a movie explaining how it works. I have linked to the movie in the other thread called "How to (Elegantly) Implement Manual Sorting of Context Actions. If you want to talk design can you reply in the other thread and if you want to argue the issue of the necessity or not of sorting contexts, can you did it in this one? Thanks.

Last edited by usertech; 2013-02-19 at 12:48 AM..