Thread: cloning a task
View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrover
What you really want is multiple contexts... not "cloning tasks"
No, no, no, no, no.

Contexts are irrelevant to what I'm seeking. Please refer back to my example. I've got two projects: the first is to create business cards, the second is to create brochures.

Before either of these tasks can be finished, I'm going to have to buy a PO box, because both my business cards and my brochure will contain my mailing address.

For the sake of argument, let's assign an "errand" context to my buying a PO Box. Well, then, what's the point of multiple contexts? You're not buying a PO box twice. Buying a PO box happens to be *ONE* required task that is necessary for the completion of *TWO* different projects.

As such, the most graceful way to handle this is to allow cloning of this task, to allow it to appear simultaneously under two or more projects. This gives two great advantages.

First, if I refine this task within one of my projects, by making it "Buy PO Box *in South Lake Tahoe*," this refinement will automatically appear under both projects.

Second, when I finally buy my PO Box, and click the checkmark of "buy PO Box" under the "create business cards" project, the clone's checkbox under "create brochures" will also automaticaly become checked.

Several participants in this thread have posted alternate solutions to my problem. But if you really understand the functionality of what I'm seeking here, I think you'll find every proposal to be at best a clumsy and frustrating workaround to an important missing feature. I believe that if cloned tasks are not available in the 1.0 release, Omnifocus will (justifiably) be slammed on this point by countless reviewers and users -- it's a very basic and fundamental feature that I think practically everyone will need at least occasionally. In fact, I believe it's by far the most graceful way to handle any situation where performance of a single task is necessary for the completion of two or more projects.

I write all this with the greatest respect and don't wish to flame anyone who has been kind enough to post within this thread.