View Single Post
I think task managers in general are better at letting you manage your inventory of projects and tasks. No task manager is ever good at "time" management.

I've found that if I scheduled a task for 30 minutes but I do it in 15 minutes. I'll sometimes let the foot off the pedal and let the task fill up the full 30 minutes allotted. I use the duration field to help me find small tasks that can fit into my day.

I might have 30 minutes remaining before my next scheduled meeting. I'll look at OmniFocus to find a task that can be done in 30 minutes or less. Or I might find 2 smaller tasks that I can do inside the 30 minute block.

I never like to schedule tasks. What I typically do is choose the 3 big rocks and work on those. I look at OmniFocus and write down on a post-it note the 3 big rocks and focus on those. Whenever i have small blocks of time, I'll look at OmniFocus and fill in the gaps with small rocks (smaller tasks).

Performing some Google Fu, I found the first hit:

http://www.supercoach.com/tvdetail.php?recordID=337

So, first thing in the morning, I'll look at OmniFocus to find my big rocks of the day. When I get through the big rocks, I'll find the small rocks to fit throughout the day. Task managers are perfect to help you find tasks that can fill in the dead spaces found throughout the day.

Whenever I tried to schedule tasks, I'll have walk-in customers, a family crisis (gotta pick up the kid from school - she fell down in the playground), or other outside influences beyond my control. These outside influences can oftentimes destroy my carefully laid out day.

The best I've found is to just schedule time blocks of 30 minutes to 2 hours of "uninterruptible" time and try to go through my Big Rocks or OmniFocus list. I never try to schedule individual tasks to a certain time. Life is too uncertain.