View Single Post
I don't have access to the alpha yet, but here's what I do in my current system (hand-rolled in OmniOutliner).

I use top-level "folders" for the major roles in my life. I name these folders as active goals, like "Advance and propagate knowledge of computing" for my role as a Computer Science professor and "Help manage our household" for a portion of my role in my family.

Under each top level folder I have one parallel project for Miscellaneous Non-Project Tasks. Most of the remaining second level items are current projects within that role, though some are subgoals. For example, under "Advance and propagate knowledge of computing" I have a subfolder named "Help Others Understand Computer Science". That subfolder gets all my projects directly related to teaching.

So for your vehicle example, I would not personally create a folder for vehicles or for each vehicle (unless perhaps I saw one of my roles as being a car collector or hobbyist). Instead, I would create a project "Changed Oil in Tacoma" under the Help Manage Our Household folder. (Also note that positive statement of the project. To me this is part of envisioning the outcome.)

Using folders for ongoing life roles and goals helps me focus on what is important. The individual projects within those roles and goals will come and go.