View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelaye View Post
And the fact, that the mpp file import is bad for Merlin (and their support get's fed up with reverse-engineering the problems) does not bother you? At least for me they stopped responding to my requests of improving the mpp import, always pointing to the XML export.
As far as I understand OP2 also has some limitations when it comes to mpp export/import and they suggest the same - use XML. At least what I read in the manual (page 73):

"Documents created in Microsoft Project XML, MPX, or MPP formats can be opened by OmniPlan, with a few limitations. Note that while OmniPlan can read MPP files, it can't write them. For the best compatibility going back and forth between OmniPlan and Microsoft Project, use the XML format."

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelaye View Post
Even so that's legitimate and understandable from the point of view of the poor programmer, the 'mpp' format still seems to be the standard for exchanged schedule information.
Microsoft is well known for keeping formats badly documented to keep developers struggling and keep users from migrating to competitors. As long as both Omni and ProjectWizards do not hide the fact that it's not all perfect when it comes to export/import, I'm pretty happy. Nothing is perfect and when I know the limitations it's just another risk.

Back to comparison... -1 to Merlin for no easy way of subscription to resource's calendar. The only way they seem to have is to import calendar from a file, which is a pain. Calendars do change and it's easier to subscribe and forget, than to keep pinging the person for updated file.

-1 to OP2 for no integration with Daylite and Billings. I asked about Billings in this forum and haven't got an answer yet :( (except for some gibberish post in unknown language). It's handy when you plan a project and then send an estimate to client based on the plan. I'm puzzled as of why Omni didn't think about that. Maybe they did and someone will answer the question soon.