View Single Post
I think apple is eager to keep the name of the "secure" and "easy" platform that it has been building over the years. The things they invent are pretty nice and for a majority I think they are sufficient. Moe even, I think people enjoy that things are simple and easy, presenting them a beautiful UI (well, until now...lion calendar, anyone?) and limited ways to [screw things] up. However, for those who see their machinery as tools for "power"usage or, maybe better, for those who are willing and knowing enough to use the tools in ways going beyond the most obvious features, apples products have serious shortcomings.

Simple yet really annoying example: iPhone and it's notifications. I was really looking forward to notification center and especially lock screen notifications. It's good in parts. It's relatively easy. If I only use a private, work and kids calendar than it helps me keeping oversight. If, however, I have 10 calendars for various needs including stuff I need to have in my calendar for seldom use but do really not need to be reminded of on a daily basis them apples notifications have serious shortcomings. Why can I not select which calendars are represented in notification center? The way it is now I have the list either cluttered with junk (week numbers, sports events on TV etc) or missing relevant information. A great feature crippled by making it too "easy".

Then, iPhone lacks profiles. That's another non-success story. It is beyond me why they do not give me the ability to define whether or not emails should trigger a vibration alert in silenced mode? Why can I not say "put all sound and vibration notifications off from 11pm to 5am,then on again"? Nokia, HTC and others had that 10 or more years ago I think. It can't be hard to implement. My theory is that it would not match apple's image as being "user friendly".

Send boxing goes into the same direction. The vast majority of people will not care about sand boxing limiting scripting abilities. On the contrary, they will be happy about the decreased risk of anybody stealing their data or something to that extend. Most people do not script. However, and as you excellently put it, if there are "electric fences" then there should be a big switch screaming "touch at own risk" in red and yellow. And if you decide to press it, you are on your own regarding the increased risks. They way it is now it as, actually, not only not my farm anymore. I got the feeling the sheep are taking over the farm and decide themselves what best protects them from the wolves because they do not trust me with this anymore. And that is some arrogance that does not go well with the image I had of apple in the past (not the most recent) years.

Last edited by Brian; 2011-10-17 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: minor edit to remove profanity.