View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiller
I believe there is frustration with both Safari / OmniWeb / Webkit development. As one who is forced to work in Windows at work, it is hard not to notice the pace that the Mozilla Organization has set for updating Firefox. From roadmaps to frequent minor updates, all others are slow in comparasion.

That being said, on the Mac side, no one has slower browser updates than Apple. When is the last time you saw a Safari update?
Apple's damned in every direction. One, they are ostensibly working with the KDE folks, who get extremely ... testy ... when they feel Apple is not doing things "just so" although I think that situation is mostly resolved.

Two, they have to track with independent app developers: the s60 branch, and now Apollo, and Google (their GWT thingee, or whatever it's called), not to mention the Omni folks, and Shiira and whatever else is using WebKit/WebCore/etc.

Third they have to deal with their installed base. Rev'ing Safari in such a way that breaks sites would be problematic.

I agree, strongly, that Apple has dropped the ball overall with handling Safari, since I similarly think that (especially in the last 3-5 months) they have a browser on their hands that is in many ways, far superior to Firefox/Gecko (performance, embeddability, cross-platform). I think Leopard is going to be a big test for them: they're going to have to work to convince the web developer masses to really target Safari, AND they're going to have to stay out in front and in the open to remind them "it's in your best interests to make it work in Safari!". They've been hibernating, sitting on a gold mine.