View Single Post
Apologies if this has already been discussed in depth already, but I don't find location based contexts very useful. Location based actions would be a lot more useful to me.

Much of the GTD literature I've read cautions against getting too granular in your contexts, because it leads to an unmanageably long list of contexts.

If context is the only modality upon which you can assign a location, it encourages creating lots of granualar contexts that relate to only one or two actions (e.g., "Fred Meyer").

I have one context for errands called "Out and About Errands". Within that context might be actions all over town. It would be great to get a view of how those different errands relate location-wise to my current location (and even better how all of my currently available actions relate location-wise to my present location).

I don't want to have to create a context for each place I might stop on an errands run (i.e., Fred Meyer, Target, Bagel Deli, Zoka Espresso, U-Village, etc.). But I might like to assign a location to each of those places.

Probably, there shouldn't be any hard and fast rules, but to my mind if a context doesn't regularly support more than one action (whether thats a bunch of actions in one transaction or a repeating action that regularly happens in that particular context), I don't really want to be forced to create a context to represent its location. Shopping at QFC is an action I do as a part of the time I spend in the out and about errands context.

It's certainly defensible as a context in the sense that it is a physical or virtual place where actions can happen. But for many people I suspect it morphs conceptually into an action (shopping).

Conversely, Northgate Mall might be a more sensible context, if you go there regularly to run a bunch of errands.

But it seems like the user should have more flexibility to determine which way they want to view these things and to assign location data to either.

Maybe someone else would want more context granualarity in those tasks. But for me, either I'm at home, at the office doing office related tasks, on the phone, working on the computer (on-line or off-line), or I'm out and about.