View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usable Thought View Post
This may be true from a coding perspective, but it is false from a GUI perspective. Once the functionality for deleting or inserting columns was added to the app, it created the potential for a user wanting to delete the 1st column - and there is nothing in the GUI to indicate visually that this can't be done. Nor does your "logic" that "this is the outline" hold up - such logic needs visual support from the GUI and doesn't have it.
Do you have any suggestions for a UI indication? All UI methods of deleting a column are disabled when you select the outline column, these would be the Reorganize -> Remove Column and the Remove Column toolbar button if you add it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usable Thought View Post
I tried the Utilities drawer and the Inspector - no apparent help there. I then searched the documentation. Nada. Finally I searched the forum - and found the one old complaint about this, in which hoardingbottles was treated as if he did not have a valid issue. This ticked me off.

hoardingbottles had a good idea: find a way to indicate in the Utilities drawer that the left hand column is different. Or like I say, just put a quick line in the help - not to "fix" this relatively minor issue, but simply to admit of its existence. Had I found such a line, my vexation would quickly have subsided; obviously no app can do everything or be perfect in every way.
You can not remove, add, or reorder columns in the utility drawer. The style palette in the utility drawer is for managing styles so it's not necessarily the best place to put such an indicator. But, if you have any specific suggestion I'll be happy to enter a request for this so we consider this for OO4's interface. And if not, I can make a note of it anyways.

I did not mention this last time, but unfortunately it's not as easy as it seems to update the help file. Any change to the help file, the same goes for UI changes, needs to be localized for all the languages we offer. So any change needs to be strongly considered if it's not coming along with a major release that requires localizing. If you think it would help, I can add this to the online FAQ. Just let me know.

Thanks!