View Single Post
My method comes from Mark Forster's Do-it-Tomorrow (DIT) version of task mangement called the Closed List.

http://www.biromt.com/products/dit/h...osed-list.html

I have a single-actions list called "Active Tasks" for miscellaneous tasks. This single-actions list is set to "Active." I also have another single-actions list called "Tasks (On Hold)" to store all the other tasks that I would like to do someday but not this week. This single-action list is set to "On Hold" status.

During my weekly review, I move single actions between the "Active" list and the "On Hold" list.

The weekly review serves as my tickler reminder. I don't want to or need to reset the start date of each task to some arbitrary date in the future. This is lower maintenance for me.

When I go to the Review perspective, I can see both single-actions list and determine whether I should move between the "Active" and "On Hold."

I also use the same idea for projects.

During the weekly review, I usually set three to five projects to "Active" and set everything else to "On Hold." I know that I have limited capacity to do things. It is better to focus my energy towards the three to five projects (also known as Big Rocks of the Week). If I try to spend my precious energy doing one task on twenty active projects (do a little of this and a little of that), I won't be really making any progress. Multi-tasking is a huge myth that does not really work in today's world.

I will make considerable progress just putting all of my energy into the three to five Big Rocks. Focus is the important part of getting to all those tasks that are not date sensitive.

Context mode will show tasks that belong only to Active projects. All projects and single-actions list that are set to "On Hold" will not be seen in context mode when you have the Availability filter set to "Next Action" or "Available."

So I'll be completing tasks on the three to five Big Rocks and hopefully successfully close a project. Then I can activate another "On hold" project.

Last edited by wilsonng; 2012-10-17 at 11:46 PM..