View Single Post
Hi,

I'm not sure how much this is an OF problem and how much this is a GTD problem, but any how... :)

I travel quite a lot for work, so I have a group of contexts called "Out of Wellington" (I live in Wellington) which contains a context for each place I regularly go. That means that when I'm planning a trip to, for example, Timaru I can look for all the tasks I could do while I'm there, and make sure they all get knocked off in the trip. I do a weekly review of my out of town contexts, and if any have enough tasks to justify a trip I arrange one.

Many of the tasks are of the "Next time I'm in the Waikato I should visit ..." variety, others are easy with concrete dates and get a trip planned immediately. Some, however, have particular but vague time requirements (e.g. "Sometime before the middle of March I should ... in Te Kuiti", i.e. not worth planning a trip right now as I'll do it when I have another reason to be there. That said, if I haven't been there before the end of February I should plan a trip).

My problem is with the due dates of the last group. I have "soon" set to show for 2 days, which makes sense for all of my Wellington tasks, but is a bit disastrous for anything which involves a trip away :) What I need is an easy way of seeing, while I'm doing my weekly review, my out of town contexts displaying when the first due task is.

I can't seem to acheive this with the views in Omnifocus :( My ideal would be a perspective showing actions grouped in contexts, then the contexts grouped by earliest due date of the actions they contain. If I can't have that then actions grouped in contexts, and the contexts sorted by first due date.

But... I can't seem to group actions in contexts and contexts by due date, and if I group by context the sort order applies only within the context - so I can see the first action of each context, but not which contexts are more pressing.

Is there a way of doing what I what in OmniFocus?

Is there a way of managing my out of town action due dates in OF that I haven't thought of?

Help! :)

Anita

Last edited by Anita; 2008-01-01 at 07:46 PM..