Thread: .Mac Sync
View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkoffel
Not a very good solution, especially for those of us who have a lot of other hosting options (.Mac, personal web-servers, corporate servers) where we could host an interface if the data wasn't trapped in our central OF repository.
I have to agree with this, if you are talking about personal sync, then having to leave a machine running and deal with personal/corporate firewalls is just not going to work. I mean do I as a SysAdm want to deal with my users leaving their machines on all the time and having to setup remote access to them? Not a chance.

The perfect solution would be an OF server that could cope with multiple users as a central data store, or at least a central OF sync server. Now I know this is now way a 1.0 feature, but it would be the best solution.

In the mean time for 1.0 some sort of solution is needed. It would seem that .Mac sync would be the most logical if not the best long term solution.

Absolute worst case as mentioned before would be some sort of Backup/Restore automation on exit and startup. This could use any webdav server not exclusively .Mac. Over to AppleScript gurus - Curt, got any ideas?

Cheers
Jason