View Single Post
@Lucas
Quote:
I think OmniFocus really isn’t set up for say, finding all of the things you have to do for Carol that are work-related. I think that OmniFocus is more arranged to provide a list of things you could be doing.
You got it right. At least you understand what my point is.

@Mango Himself
Quote:
To go to the bathroom: @bathroom, @Errands:supermarket:buy toilet paper, @toilet paper:hold in hand, @Hand:usage, @Usage:motions, @motions:voluntary, @motions:involuntary, etc.
You’re attacking a straw man that doesn't really exist. Tags, as I use them are few general atoms that don’t go to much into detail. They are meaningful only in combination with the description of the task. I used Things naturally and by intuition from day one. Things never feels complicated. It is OmniFocus thats complicated for me.

No sane person would ever create such a task, but to use your example:
Code:
„To go to the bathroom“ @Home @Urgent
Just two tags are enough. :)

Quote:
GTD is not about tags. It's about contexts. Things is of a vertical hierarchy while OF is both vertical and horizontal. Keep the contexts as few and as simple as possible. Errands, Calls, EMails, Next ought to be more than enough.
Sounds good in theory. Practically the arouses the problem in which of the possible meaningful contexts to actually put the action? What solution do you suggest to avoid the danger of missing an action because it has, by bad luck or chance, a context assigned to it that does not match your current situation? Assigning it back to the @Bob context only postpones the problem: When you are at the hardware store you will miss the action in the contexts action list @Hardwarestore

Quote:
But: Let’s say I meet with Bob before I did purchase the item for him. Let’s say I forgot the task to buy item xyz for Bob - it is currently not on my mind (nor in Bobs mind). „Hi Bob, how are you? Let’s check my @Bob context to see what we need to discuss (that is the whole point of an GTD app - your external brain, it reminds you to do things you have/want to do)“. The hardware action is missing from the @Bob context => I did not discus this important task of buying item xyz with Bob. => Bob fires me. :(
Please use my concrete example. How to avoid missing the „Buy hardware item xyz for Bob“ action when looking at the @Bob context when nothing hints/reminds me that there is an very important action that is related to Bob waiting in the @Hardwarestore context?

Quote:
Guys,

you are over-complicating something that should be so easy.
In Things that problem is super simple solved with tags.

Ok Mango Himself.
Please suggest a not „over-complicated" and easy solution to that problem in OmniFocus. :)

Last edited by zoisite; 2010-04-20 at 08:58 AM..