View Single Post
Almost everything happens in incremental steps. Even Mac OS X has slowly evolved over time.

OF 2.0 will try to preserve the database structure so that we can transition into the future.

If Omni revised the database structure in OF2, that would break syncing with OmniFocus for iPad and OmniFocus for iPhone. There are some of us who have computers that are not Mountain Lion capable. Some of us are stuck on Lion or prior. So we can still use OF1 on these pre-Mountain Lion computers and also use OF2 on our Mountain Lion computers.

This will help with transition. yeah, I know you might just say "just get with the times and just buy a new computer." But I guess you might forget that sometimes logic does not always apply to reality when you may have a department that has a mix of computers and buying everyone a new computer isn't feasible and needs to be done in stages.

Brian did say "further on down the line." So at least there is an opening in the future.

If Omni were to update the database structure, they would have to delay the release of OF2 because they would also have to dedicate resources to not only OF2 for Mac but also update OF for iPad and OF for iPhone.

So far, we've had OF1 for Mac. Then OF1 for iPhone was introduced. Then OF1 for iPad was brought into being. Now we're going back to the Mac for OF2. Then eventually we might have version 2.5 that will possibly introduce database structure changes.

All hell would probably erupt if OF2 introduced database changes and it broke syncing with OF1, OF for iPhone, and OF for iPad. I can only imagine the flame wars that would appear on this forum if that were to happen.

OF2 is not a missed opportunity. It is a step towards the future. I remembered the slow and painful evolutionary stages that Mac OS X and iOS has gone through.

If you want to talk about a mega-change, take a look at Final Cut Pro X. That software pissed off tons of experienced users who flocked over to Adobe Premiere and have vowed never to come back. Heck, the first version of FCPX couldn't even import old Final Cut 7 projects.

So would you rather have OF2 completely break everything or would you like to see an evolutionary approach?