View Single Post
Three ways to handle it that I can think of, two of which you mentioned.

1. Create a separate project/single action list and mark it as "on hold". I wouldn't do this unless, as you mentioned, you really wanted it to be a separate project.

2. Put it into a context that you have marked as "on hold". This puts all those items that are similar in the fact that you don't want to deal right now, though dissimilar in other ways (different projects) into one spot to review when you are ready (weekly?). I am getting used to this and think it's often the right solution for me.

3. Assign a future start date. If you know when you want to deal with it, then you can make it "disappear" until then. It will remain in the proper context and project, and can be seen there by setting your view bar to "remaining" or "all" but won't show when you're looking at active/available items only. I use this a lot to push things ahead. For example, if I know that I want to clean out the garage during Thanksgiving week, I can set a start date accordingly. I can build the project with all the proper actions/contexts and I just won't see them show up until then. I use these often to hide M-F things I think about on the weekend, and vice versa.

I'm personally starting to utilize the on-hold context more for the 'I think I'd like to do this in a week or two or three' type things. Because if I have to keep changing the start date, it's a bit disheartening. Also, sometimes when reviewing on hold things, the mood strikes me and I can knock out something earlier than I would have seen it if I had guessed at a start date.