Thread: Speed Tests
View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by santra View Post
But I find it rather ironic (and insane) that on a device that will play (or stream) a video file, which is HUGE
Yes, a video or audio file can be huge, but you only use a very small portion of it at one time, and that portion marches through the file in an orderly fashion. Displaying the content 15 minutes in doesn't require much knowledge about what was displayed more than a few seconds earlier. That's a great simplification which unfortunately doesn't hold for an outline.

Also, the data structures that describe the relationship of the rows with each other, how the text is to be styled, etc. all take up space, potentially much more than the text itself. If your outline resembles a Simplenote note with checkboxes, then yes, one might look askance at the overhead, but if you are making use of many of the options offered it isn't so unreasonable. Undoubtedly the app can stand to have some tuning done; OmniGraffle certainly improved on its original performance with the 1.1 release. Tuning it to optimize the thousands of simple rows case at the expense of more featured smaller outlines might not be the right decision to make the most customers happy, however, especially if doing so also increases the difficulty of maintaining the app and adding future features. The old adage about software development: "fast, cheap, correct: pick two" certainly comes to mind.
Quote:
The more I think about it, the more I find myself scratching my brain over this. I use OmniGraffle on my iPad every day. Phenomenal app, and it has to be somewhat demanding because of the graphics involved. Yet OmniOutlines are merely text, so why the big RAM conflict?
How many of your OmniGraffle documents have many hundreds or thousands of objects, to match the thousands of rows in your outlines?