View Single Post
From the responses on this forum, a subset of users at large, it's clear that Omni didn't grok what would happen. 'nuf said.

So where to go now?

I suspect that the most trivial thing in the short term is to set up an omni-hosted WebDAV server for the length of the alpha/beta. This will give them breathing room time to consider the options, at a total cost of a bit of system administration and pushing out two binaries. (A pop-up should disclaim any serious use on this hosted platform, testing, etc.)

I suspect the middle-term solution is to package a script which will change the stock Leopard set-up to enable WebDAV plus some testing code for port-forwarding. I'm guessing Bonjour didn't do something necessary, as it was the route I thought I'd see on day one.

The long-term solution is more muddy. Omni has said they don't want to be in the systems business. Probably right. I doubt they want to be held hostage to MobileMe. So I think a tiered solution will come out: something for people wanting local sync, something for small companies (work out a package with 1and1.com, for example), and something for big companies who already have their infrastructure in place.
Given Omni's track record I'm sure they'll come up with The Right Thing, but as they're now treading outside of the app the solution may not be as obvious as some may think.

For the record, I set it up via local WebDAV, but I'm going to have to figure out how to properly get dyndns.org to get the Ethernet address and Just Work both when my MBP is at home (Comcast cable) and work (intranet).