View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by uxable View Post
I'm sure you're happy with the existing look of the UI based on what you stated, but let's be clear about aesthetic elegance and usability. An appealing aesthetic is not about sacrificing functionality in any way, in fact quite the opposite. Software can be beautifully elegant and aesthetically pleasing in a way that enhances usability. It may be that you're perhaps eluding to a misguided stigma you may have that's associated with what you refer to 'pretty' interfaces that involve easthetic elements that do not play any role in usability, because it seems to be something you perceive negatively, and good visual design should rarely if ever leave such impressions. What I'm suggesting is much like the design philosophy employed by companies like Apple. Now, I'm sure there are those out there that mightr argue that the design and interface of the iPod is awful and they might not like it, but it's very obvious by the market cap of the product that the vast majority actually appreciate the elegant visual design of the product and its associated interfaces. Good visual design is not about aesthetics for easthetic's sake at all.

Perhaps the answer is flexibility. If the OMNI team did enhance the visual design of the UI, I doubt there's any reason they couldn't also provide the option of the more sterile, bland, stripped down look as well. My ideal scenario involves a 'theme' functionality that would allow any designer to customize the UI to some extent to achieve their optimal easthetic, no matter what that may be...
I totally agree. I like your parallel to Apple. They always improve their design. I don't know about you guys, but I don't call SnowLeopard dysfunctional...
They match the functionality with quality design.

People who don't want to improve when it comes to design are the same type of people who think "it should be as it always have been..." and "it was better in the old days.."

BORING!

There is a strong reason why Apple, Newspapers and many more invest in improving design ALL THE TIME.

There is a reason why people want a beautiful car rather than a ugly one even both of them will take you from point A to point B.