View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDork View Post
A better question is, "Why not?"
OK, then perhaps we should ask the same questions about adding an email client, FTP client, music and video player, drawing capabilities, VOIP support, a nice iTunes-style visualizer, maybe a web browser, etc. to OmniFocus? After all, "why not?" :)

I'm being facetious, but in all those cases, the answer is the same: without some compelling reason, all of those things are unnecessary and consume limited engineering resources that are better used fixing bugs or adding widely-desired functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDork View Post
What looks good to you is subjective. Choice isn't a bad thing.
Yes, I suppose "what looks good" is subjective, but so is the desire to see that feature added. And in my opinion, the feature is unnecessary. I'm simply providing counterpoint.

Omni Group obviously cannot cater to every whim that floats by on the forum. Before adding/changing anything, the idea should be seriously scrutinized, no matter how trivial it seems.

Choice isn't always a good thing, either. It frequently leads to unnecessary complexity and confusion. In fact, one could argue that Apple's entire design approach is based on the careful limitation of choice, offering only what they think is truly necessary to make something functional, desirable, and fulfilling. It's that simplicity, elegance, and daring (some might call it arrogance) that makes Apple and their products special and has likely led to so much success in recent years where so many others have failed.

All my ranting aside, to truly evaluate the original feature request, more information is needed:

1) Change the icons? Which icons and change them to what? And what's specifically wrong with the current icons?

2) Change the colors? What colors? You can already change some of them (sidebar and font, although UI improvements in this area are supposedly planned).

3) Change "the whole presentation screen in OF"? What does that mean exactly? A new view? Scrap the whole layout and start over? A request so vague is virtually useless. And I hope Omni Group doesn't waste any time trying to guess what was meant.

OK, sorry - little too much coffee this morning. :)