View Single Post
Ed,

It sounds like what you're after is really to have the badge counts give you a sense of the urgency of getting tasks done. I say that because it seems like you don't actually care about the dates; you just adjust them to make the badges behave. Am I understanding correctly? If so, then you don't just want the ability to tag items as today, but you want the ability to have the badges reflect the count of tasks that are tagged as today.

Taking that further, and considering some features that have been hinted at for version 2, there would a nice synergy between tagging, smart folders, and this custom badge idea. For example, you could make a smart folder that matches items that are flagged for your boss or tagged as today, then you could make your badges reflect the number of items in that particular smart folder. Others might make different smart folders (say items tagged as high priority or with due dates within the next 7 days) to drive their badges.

Interesting food for thought.

In the interim, I wanted to make sure you knew that you can change the start and due dates of multiple items in OF simultaneously using the inspector. Just select all the items (using command-click), then change the date in the inspector.

And don't forget, use Help → Send Feedback to submit feature suggestions to get them entered in the development database.

(I'm trying to resist the urge to coach here. Do what works for you. For me, one of the great reliefs of switching to GTD was getting out of the grind of pushing around artificial due dates. Is the cost of pushing them around worth the benefits you get from doing so? If so, then carry on. Occasionally when thinking about my system I'll discover that rather than looking for a more efficient way to do something, I'm better off not doing it at all. Again, I don't mean to preach and hope I'm not coming off that way.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elrjax View Post
(BTW, did you notice that you can set tags on the post, but not on an OF task :-)?
Heh. I have noticed that. Still no priority settings on forum posts though. ;-)

Cheers,

Curt

Curt